Journey along the Hauraki Rail Trail on foot, bike or train to experience the Karangahake gorge
Gold town biking adventure
Take in all the scenic adventures that Karangahake gorge and Waihi beach have to offer. With so many options to choose from on wheels, on foot or on the sea there is something for all the family.
Given the proximity to Auckland it is easy to explore the area in a weekend trip.
- Cycle from Paeroa to Waihi – the most popular section of the Hauraki Rail Trail – through the dramatic Karangahake Gorge. The ride takes us past waterfalls, photogenic gold mining sites and the charmingly old-fashioned Victoria Battery museum. Rent tow ons for kids or electric bikes for parents if needed.
- The kids will love the amazing 1100-meter long railway tunnel, ridden through with the aid of a torch or headlamp.
- Take a tea break at the Waikino Station railway cafe.
- Hop on the Goldfields Railway vintage train which runs between Waikino and Waihi if you’d rather travel by steam than leg power for the last section of the rail trail
- Take in the gorge on the Karangaheke Windows Walk. This short walk boasts beautiful scenery, spectacular mining remnants and a treasure hunt for kids that makes them forget they are even walking!
- Try out surf lessons with a Waihi beach surf school
- Discover a beautiful coastal track to Orokawa Bay scenic reserve
- Stop off at the Gold Discovery Centre to learn the history of gold and let Waihi Gold Mine Tours take you inside the fence to experience modern-day gold mining.
Contact us now for help building the perfect Hauraki Rail Trail and Karangahake Gorge weekend for the family
We have a weekend trip to Karangahake and Waihi in the planning for July. If you want to join other families riding the best bits of the trail and exploring the gorge then just drop us a line.
Life's too short not to have fun as a family!
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.